When it opened on November 14th 1990, with its huge atrium, the building was the epitome of style
The Talbot Road Kellogg`s headquarters.
When it opened on November 14th 1990, the building was the epitome of style.
Slick furniture, gigantic computer screens, and Lady Diana style big hair were all on show when cereal makers Kellogg’s moved into brand new headquarters at the corner of Warwick Road and Talbot Road, Old Trafford.
Six days later Margaret Thatcher would quit as Prime Minister, while The Righteous Brothers returned to Number One in the charts - with their 1965 hit Unchained Melody, used in the film “Ghost”.
The building was officially opened by Bill LaMothe, Chairman of the Board, President, and Chief Executive of Kellogg’s.
(Image: Salford University)
At the ceremony was Mayor of Trafford Coun Jim Haydock, fittingly a former Kellogg’s employee.
A glass panel engraved with an illustration of company founder William Keith Kellogg was unveiled and John Laithwaite was formally thanked as the longest-serving worker.
Just 27 years later, the purpose-built HQ is to close. Staff will move a few miles down the road to MediaCityUK, at Salford Quays, in January.
Now the company is appealing for memorabilia from its time in the Old Trafford building.
Archivists from Kellogg’s Battle Creek, USA offices are coming to the UK at the end of the month to capture its Manchester history for the company archives. The company is inviting ex-employees or customers to share stories about the Talbot Road site - and is seeking old photographs, packaging, memorabilia, or letters.
All contributions will shared as part of the ‘Farewell Talbot Road’ exhibition on site in December and archived for the American collection.
The official invite to the opening of the new Kellogg`s HQ - November 14th 1990. (Image: Handout)
Kellogg’s will join the likes of Salford University and ITV in the prestigious Orange Tower at the Quays.
Meanwhile the brand’s historic Trafford Park factory, a local landmark which was built in 1938, will stay put.
Earlier this year Dave Lawlor, Kellogg’s UK and Ireland managing director, said the relocation was because it was time “to move to somewhere which better reflects where we want to take our business in the future.”
But the move also comes after a number of jobs going at the Talbot Road building.
A spokeswoman said: “This move is about helping us create a new culture in a new office; somewhere we can all feel proud of which helps us retain and attract the best people.
The Talbot Road Kellogg`s headquarters under construction in 1989. (Image: Handout)
“But we can’t escape the fact we now have less people at Talbot Road and no one wants to rattle around in a building that’s too big for them. When you combine all of this with the fact our existing office is almost 30 years old and no longer fit for purpose, it felt the right time to make the move.”
Kellogg Company was founded in 1906 in rural Michigan, USA, with his discovery of toasted flakes.
The UK and Ireland is the company’s largest business unit outside of USA.
Kellogg’s products arrived in the UK in 1922 and in Ireland in 1924 and they opened their first factory in Old Trafford in 1938.
About eight out of 10 households have one of their foods in their kitchen cupboard, including brands like Pringles, Corn Flakes, Special K, Coco Pops and Rice Krispies.
The Old Trafford site houses staff who run the company’s UK and Irish sales and marketing business as well as support functions for its European operations, including those involved in research, food development, marketing, sales, human resources and finance. All will be relocated
Kellogg’s employs more than 1,000 people in Greater Manchester.
When PM Thatcher visited the factory in 1982 many workers downed tools in protest.
Anyone with memorablia for the exhibition to loan or donate should contact Emma Lowe at the Kellogg press office on firstname.lastname@example.org before October 20th for the chance to be part of the archive.